Review: The Master and Margarita

The Master and Margarita The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So many feelings about this book! This was a slow read with my friend Evelyn who thankfully knew so much about Russian history and literature and her husband Tom who knew about Christianity. Both of these are really helpful in reading the book. The experience of reading this book was quite the journey and I am really glad I read it slowly. The beginning was a drag for me, there was so much going on and I understood so little of it. The middle was the best since I managed to let go and truly enjoy the absurdity and the plot was settling a bit by then. And then the ending went to the next level. Net net, I am still not convinced that this book can stand on its own. That it can be uncoupled from the time and location it was written in. Because in of itself, it is more nonsensical than not. But when coupled with all the texture and politics and history of Russia and Faust and Bulgakov himself, it's indeed quite the novel. I'm glad I read it.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: All the Way to the River: Love, Loss, and Liberation

Review: Exit

Review: The Guide